Shortly after 8 a.m. Sunday morning, Debra Smith of 953 West Martin Luther King Street in Kirbyville heard two pops in her garage. Smith said that she opened the door adjoining her garage to her home and immediately saw flames.
Smith said, "I closed the door, called my neighbors, and dialed 911."
The Kirbyville Volunteer Fire Department was there quickly and began extinguishing the fire.
"I think it started in the breaker box because the flames were in that area, but I don't know that for sure." Smith, who lost her husband 15 years ago said, "My kids all came in to see about me. Many of my friends and family are here. People came in from Buna, Call, and Beaumont to see what they could do to help. I have lots of good Christian support in my time of need. My neighbor, Wanda Cooper has been a tremendous support. Such a blessing!"
Smith explained that while all the fire damage was limited to the garage, the rest of the home now has smoke and water damage. Smith said of the damage, "I praise the Lord anyway!"